Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Power of Positive Thinking!

Pinned Image

I have not been the most positive person lately ... even my husband was saying just the other day we both have gotten in a "Negative Nellie" rut and it's time to be a little more positive and optimistic.  Pretty sure I rolled my eyes when he said this and started to list off all the stuff going "wrong" for me right now.

I was at my negative best again this morning.  I whined and complained and bitched the whole way out to the trail head. 

"I don't want to do Robie. Not even looking forward to it."
"I can't run hills.  I hate hills."
"My running just sucks lately."  ... and on and on and on.

Then I got out of the car and decided to put all of that aside for just this run.  What a novel idea!  Instead of heading out with all kinds of crappy, self-destructive thoughts in my head, I decided I would focus on only good things. Usually I am so focused on how weak my legs are, how quickly I seem to get out of breath, how I can't go as fast as I want ... it's no wonder my runs SUCK ... they are doomed before I even start.  Today, however, I promised myself I would only focus on what my body CAN do.  To be thankful for the health I do have ... to not give up, to enjoy the fact that I am able-bodied and strong.  Yes, I am strong.  Maybe not as strong as some people, but strong in my own ways. I have put a lot of time into training ... I have run a lot of hills.  I can do hard things.

And guess what?

I had the best run I've had in "forever" as I told my husband.  The beautiful blue skies surely helped ... but aside from that I ran STRONG.  I ran trails I haven't run in weeks and I was able to run all the hills I usually walk.  I kept my head down and reminded myself to focus on what was right in front of me ... to not look too far ahead and get discouraged.  It worked.  I tackled some nice climbs ... and my speed was better than it's been in months.  I believe I actually did a fist pump at the top of the highest hill ... ok, now I'm just admitting my total nerdiness.  But dammit, for the first time in A LONG TIME, I am proud of what I did today.

 Pinned Image

The power of positive thinking ... it really is something to practice.  I will quite rolling my eyes at my dear husband when he tries to persuade me of it's usefulness.  I'm a believer!! 
  
Pinned Image
Make it so!
NINE more days till Robie ... I may not be as fast as some, hell, I may not even be as fast as myself in past years ... but I will keep a smile on my face and focus on all that I CAN do.   

Pinned Image
 

No comments:

Post a Comment