Thursday, March 22, 2012

Slow and steady ... but mostly just SLOW!

I haven't found much time to blog lately ... well, at least about running.  Quite honestly, I have been pretty lacking in motivation for the last couple of weeks.  Then I caught a glimpse of the calendar the other day and realized my big race is only a month away.  No time for putting off running and diving back into the Reese's peanut butter eggs -- there are hills to conquer!

Pinned Image
This means ATTACK more hills Yvonne...
 not see if you can stuff one more peanut butter egg in your over-full belly!!
I have been doing all the usual stuff ... at least one long run a week, hill programs on my elliptical, hiking and running trails.  But I would be lying if I didn't say I've felt a little burned out.  For one thing, I think I might have adult ADHD, hehe.  And for another, I have been annoyed with my lack of speed.  Despite working pretty consistently for a couple of months, my speed is still not where it used to be.  But, I think I might have figured out why!

I have been so proud of myself for doing all my running outside -- haven't been on a treadmill in maybe a year!  As I was discussing this with another runner the other day, it dawned on me ... I think the regular treadmill training I used to do really helped me build up my speed.  Out on my own, it's way to easy to slow my pace when I get tired, whereas on the treadmill, I program in my speed and just fight through it.  I'm excited about this "a-ha" moment.  Of course now the weather has taken a recent turn for the better and I want to be outside as much as possible, but I am going to do my best to work in at least one treadmill run a week.  In the spirit of working on my "fastness" I also did a little speed training today ... sprinting and timing myself on a straight-stretch in the neighborhood over and over and over.  I can't believe how sore my legs already feel.  I'm excited about adding something "newish" to my routine. 

Going to keep plugging along, praying for the snow to melt up on those hills, and looking for more signs of spring!  This sign pretty much sums it up ... I'm excited too!!!

Pinned Image

No comments:

Post a Comment