Sunday, March 4, 2012

My little piece of heaven.

I had the great fortune of spending a beautiful Sunday with my family doing all of our favorite things, but most of all just enjoying each other.

When I was a young girl (not that I'm all that old now) I used to dream of what it would be like to have a family.  I would think about how fun it would be to spend time with them, laugh, and be silly together.  This past Sunday felt like that dream come to life.

We didn't do anything extraordinary.  In fact it was a rather ordinary day.  But therein, I believe, lies the magic.  We were blessed with a gorgeous day weatherwise, so I think everyone woke up in a extra cheerful mood.  Sizing up the fridge and pantry, my chef hubby decided we had all the necessary fixin's for homemade bagel breakfast sandwiches (similar to what we get at one of our favorite local bagel shops.)  His conconction of lightly-toasted bagels, creamy cheese, fried-just-right eggs, gooey cheddar cheese, crispy bacon, tomato with salt and pepper and smashed avocado was D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S!  But he didn't just stop there ... his masterpiece of the morning was a double decker breakfast delight with two fried eggs, and double layers and bacon.  We throughoughly enjoyed our breakfast while we talked about an upcoming family vacation this summer and how these new breakfast creations MUST be on the menu! (They were consumed too fast to snap a pic, but I will get one next time!)

With full bellies we decided it was time for some fresh air and we headed to my new favorite trails to stretch our legs, exercise the puppy and drink in the sunshine.  It is so fun to watch Zoe run back and forth from the kids to us ... always making sure everyone's ok ... she gets so giddy on hikes and loves to chase the kids (although we could all do without some of her jumping energy at times!)  The view was beautiful.  The hubby and I were able to relax and watch the kids make up games, catch up on a few things and feel less rushed than we've felt in weeks.

Kids + An Early Spring Day = Lots o' smiles!

Because eating is our favorite past time and at this point it was WELL past lunch, we decided to head to Sonic for a good ol' fashioned drive-in food fest.  Corn dogs, coney dogs, popcorn chicken, chili-cheese tots and ICE-COLD soda ... can you say Heaven?

We couldn't bear the thought of going back indoors so we headed back out to yet another park with basketballs and rollerskates!  The boys practiced basketball while my daughter perfected her rollerskating.  I sat in the grass with the worn out dog and smiled at the beautiful normalcy before me. 

Two matters of note:
1) My kindergartener has some mad dribbling skills ... he can't wait to play basketball next year and I can't wait to watch the little man out on the court! 
2) My daughter is a machine ... she took some seriously hard falls on those rollerskates but refused to give up ... even insisted on skating all the way home.  I love her determination.

I might sound corny,  but that's ok.  I'm not above being a sentimental sap.  This day was a snapshot of "perfect" ... something I will store in my heart forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment